Tuesday 17 July 2012

Sky Confirmed Falling, Go(o)se Confirmed Loose*


*Before you go ahead and call me a copycat plagiarist scumbag, I know DJF used the "totally loose" thing a few years ago, when the Jays acquired Gose from Houston or Philadelphia or whoever the fuck, but I came up with it and tweeted it to Stoeten (I think), so it's still mine.  Look it up if you must.

Well this season is over.  Trade everyone.  The Jays will be without Jose Bautista for at least two weeks, as our savior and personal Jesus has been placed on the 15-day DL with a wrist situation.  The Jays have called up Travis Snider to take Bautista's place.

What's that?  Anthony Gose?  Not Travis Snider?  Oh, well.  That's a headscratcher now, isn't it?  Well, yes, but also...

Now, I'm not going to go ahead and say that Gose is good enough offensively in AAA to hack it in the majors (.292/.375/.432 in AAA, which sounds good until we remember that offensive numbers are really amplified in Las Vegas), especially as a 21 year-old (22 in about 2 weeks).  I'm pretty sure he's one of the younger guys in that league, though I don't really have anything that can back that up.

We can compare that with 24 year-old Travis Snider, who has a .322/.415/.548 line.  Obviously, as we've heard over and over, they want Snider to stay up when he comes up, and if Rajai Davis is still patrolling LF until the trade deadline (he's getting traded at the deadline, right?), then well I guess this is the way she goes.

I don't really understand why it has to be 21-year old "definitely coming back down" Anthony Gose instead of 24-year old "if he's not ready now then he might never be" Travis Snider.

That's not to say it has to be Snider, because he hasn't played overly well recently, I just don't know if Gose is the right play here.  Allow me to be quietly skeptical this one time.  I know the cool kids are rushing their 19 and 20-year old phenoms to the majors, so maybe this is just keeping up with the Joneses.  I dunno, Thames, Gomes, even Moises Sierra?  Basically what I'm saying in a long-winded form is that Gose didn't strike me as #1 on the depth chart.

I do suppose there's a reason why AA's the GM, and I'm just some dude sitting on the couch though.  I dunno, I guess the season's pretty well finished and that we shouldn't shit ourselves about this anyway.  Gose was probably going to be a September callup anyway, so heh.

Stuff
The Marlins will listen on anybody if they happen to sell, which, without Giancarlo Stanton, is bound to happen.  Josh Johnson is under contract for $13.75MM next year everybody.

The Jays are interested in Justin Upton.  Shocking!

The Jays transferred Brandon Morrow to the 60-day DL to make room for Anthony Gose on the 40-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment